Saturday, February 22, 2014

Happy Birthday | Letter To My Twenty-Six Year Old Self

image 
Alexis,

Girl, you are old! But fortunately, the none the wiser piece doesn’t apply. I’ve been putting off this letter for sometime, but after a recent breakthrough I felt this was as good a time as any.

You always have these goals of being happy and having a less negative outlook on things. Conveniently, you always chose to overlook the piece about finding happiness within yourself. I can’t tell you that you’ve found that ability or that I’ve discovered some magical trick to help you do so. But, if the past twenty-five years have taught you anything, it should be what happens when you allow your happiness to live and die at the hands of someone else.

I don’t think this is the year for reflection on where you’ve been and where you’re going. Don’t make any plans on how to get from point A to point B. Just live! You have your thirties and beyond to make plans and worry. Twenty-six is your sabbatical year.

If you hear it from no one else, know that I’m proud of you. You’ve accomplished more than I ever imagined that you would. You’ve far exceeded the standard that you initially set for yourself. I’m not saying this is the time to slack off but cruise control should be fine for the next year.

Continue to be strong, determined, and to demand happiness for yourself. Love without the fear of heartbreak. Remember that life is what happens to us while we are making other plans. So, be fearless and just live.

Love,
Yourself at age twenty-five

No comments:

Post a Comment